Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Run away words

Lately I've caught myself replaying conversations in my mind alot. Like last night, after coffee with the girls, I had a quiet drive home (Unusual!) As I drove into my driveway, I realized that I'd played back the entire conversation in my head, trying to decide if I'd said anything that might offend someone or misrepresent someone or something just plain stupid that I never should've said. And if I thought of something, I spent time wondering if I should apologize to the people I've misrepresented or offended - when they probably went home and forgot about it or didn't know in the first place.
It seems that I say things I shouldn't all the time! I don't know why this surprises me so much. I mean, James 3:8 says, "But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison."
But here's my dilemma. I can't decide if the repetitive playback is based on the Holy Spirit's attempts to teach me to control my tongue or if I'm just obsessed with myself, worried that someone will think less of me if I say something dumb.
Even as I write this, I'm reading and re-reading, attempting to see it through your eyes and remove any wayward words. I think I could drive myself crazy really quickly!

Oh, something else totally off subject but not deserving of it's own post. I completely inadvertently taught Julia to say "Uh oh" yesterday. She was sitting in her highchair and dropped a Cheerio on the floor. I looked at her and said, "Uh oh", and she said "Uh Uh". I almost fell out of my chair. I was not expecting that one! Anyway, it's really cute, and I wish you all could hear it! =)

No comments: