Saturday, October 31, 2009

"Fearless" by Max Lucado

I’m afraid of heights, snakes, spiders, the dark, the bus stop on the corner down the street, water deeper than I can touch, and countless (I’m sure) other things. So when I saw the title of this book, I decided it was for me.
Lucado spends this book attacking the roots of our biggest fears – fear of not mattering, of failure, of death, of violence. He clearly and engagingly dispels these fears with truth from Jesus’ life and words while on earth. Fearless is short on practical strategies for overcoming fear of spiders. But it abounds with Christ-centered truth, reminding us that true fearlessness lies in keeping our eyes focused on Jesus – the calmer of the storm, the raiser of the dead, the healer of the blind and lame.
I needed to hear this message. Our world is driven by fear: Get the H1N1 vaccine! Take the government’s bailout money! Don’t let your kids walk down the street alone! How many daily decisions do I make based not on God’s truth but on my fear? Fearless artfully asks this question in a casual, fun, never preachy style that makes it enjoyable to read.

I wrote this review as part of Thomas Nelson's book review blogger program.

1 comment:

Ruth J Leamy said...

Amen! Keep your eyes on Jesus!