Friday, August 1, 2008

Supermom!

I get overwhelmed alot. You wouldn't be surprised by this if you lived in my house for a day. Isn't there a physics law that says everything is going from order to chaos? Well, my life is a perfect example. My kids are bent towards disobedience, I am constantly making dirty dishes, toys are always all over the floor, we are always out of something necessary, the clothes are always dirty. I tend to feel that I simply can't keep up with all that needs to be done. I'd have to have super powers. Then I listen to well-meaning self-help guides who tell me, "10 minutes a day to an organized home" or "How to raise obedient children" or "How to have a great marriage". I get discouraged because I frantically try just to stay on top of the necessary things - let alone have a perfectly organized home with perfectly behaved children with a perfect marriage.
I figure if I was Supermom, I could do it. I'd get up early in the morning (because supermoms need next to no sleep) and get all ready for the day. I could move food, dirty dishes, laundry, and toys with my eyes all at the same time - while doing a pilates workout in the living room. By the time Caleb woke up to go to school, the house would be spotless, I'd be showered with makeup on and hair done and have already excersized and read my Bible. Eggs, bacon, and toast would be waiting on the table with a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. Once Caleb left I'd be free to play with the kids all day. We'd go on educational outings, bake cookies together, do plays, run through the sprinkler.
Just writing this makes me laugh! It's so unrealistic. But, here's what IS real.
I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places. (Eph. 1:18-20)

Did you catch that? I have the same power in me that raised Jesus from the dead and seated him next to God in heaven! Unlimited, supernatural power! That doesn't mean that I can move things with my eyes - or that I'm likely to greet Caleb with a clean house, makeup, and a hot breakfast on Monday morning. But it does mean that God has fully equipped me to do the work that He's given me to do - all with His power working through me.
I needed to hear that today.

No comments: