Friday, August 29, 2008

Am I really talking about politics??

Although I think politics is interesting, I don't usually write about it. I don't really want to debate with or offend people who don't agree with my view. It just creates strife. But, I can't resist making a couple statements about Barack Obama's acceptance speech last night. First of all, I'm not a huge fan of Obama. He seems too popular to be right to me. But, I have to say that most of what he said last night sounded pretty good to me. I mean, I'm just as sick as everyone else of the way "politics" goes in our country. I'm tired of continuous attacks and words with no substance behind them. I'm tired of people talking smoothly enough to be elected into office, only for their power-hungry egos to be corrupted by power. Obama did a good job of listing the problems in our society and stating that, with his leadership of course, the American spirit could solve the problems.
I was bothered by the way people reacted to his speech. I mean, I think most of the people in that stadium would've bowed down and kissed his feet. That fanatic loyalty evidenced by screaming, sobbing devotees seems to me like adoration that should only be lavished on God - not any man.
Also, I think Obama revealed his ignorance of God and His ways. The last line of his speech quoted the Bible saying, "in the words of scripture hold firmly, without wavering, to the hope that we confess." I can't tell you off the top of my head where in the Bible that comes from (although if my dad reads this, I'm sure he'll tell me), but I am positive that the hope we confess is not hope in Barack Obama or the American spirit. It's hope in God alone and the salvation He offers through His Son, Jesus Christ. He's our only hope for peace or security. If Obama does not line up his life with Jesus Christ, ultimately everything he does will end up in failure - if not on earth than in eternity.
Behind the winning smile, the persuasive speaking, the grasp of what America could be with good leadership, Obama fails to honor God in his view of the world. He chooses phrases from the Bible to fit his purposes and ignores parts that are inconvenient to him. Perhaps all politicians do that - certainly most would if they thought it would help them get elected.
Bottom line is this. If I was going to vote for a man who I thought would cause our country to prosper economically and regain it's respected status in the world, I would at least consider voting for Barack Obama. But God cares about things like the lives of unborn babies and the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman. And because of that, I cannot vote for Barack Obama. I'm almost sad to not have a choice.

No comments: