Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cooking Adventures with Melody

Welcome to the first (and possibly only..) episode of Cooking Adventures with Melody!  Today I will be showing you how to make Melody's Made-Up Meatballs.  Start with any normal meatball recipe.  I chose a recipe from my sister-in-law (love you Allie!) that uses six pounds of hamburger.  It makes around 200 small meatballs.  I freeze most of them for quick meals later. 
Here's the recipe:
6 pounds hamburger
3 cups bread crumbs
2/3 cup milk
4 eggs
1/4 cup minced onion
2 Tblspns garlic
1 Tblspns salt
2 Tblspns pepper
I have learned from previous experience that two tablespoons of garlic is WAY too much!  At least if you cheat like me and substitute garlic powder.  Another tip:  Use onion powder too.  It saves all that nasty onion chopping. And it saves your ears from listening to your whining children screech, "EWWW!!!!  Onions!!!"
Today I have slightly over six pounds of hamburger, so I open the fridge door to grab another egg.  That's when I spot the leftover refried beans from supper last night.  "Hmmm...cheap, low-fat protein snuck into food the kids actually like."  Genius!  I dump them in. 
Then I spy the leftover oatmeal from breakfast last week.  My mom always tells me she puts oatmeal in her meatloaf.  Pretty sure she means uncooked oatmeal, but it'll probably turn out about the same...  In goes the oatmeal  - which I realize as I mix it into the hamburger probably has brown sugar in it.  Oh well.  A little brown sugar  never hurt anybody. 
One more trip to the refrigerator, and look!  Mashed potatoes!  But as I open the lid, "Ewww..."  Weird smelling mashed potatoes.  Down the garbage disposal they go.  Maybe next time. 
Next, spend a while mushing all these ingredients together with your bare hands.  They might get cold, but the slimy feeling is kinda fun.  =) 
Then grab your small scooper and start making balls.  This takes a long time when you're making 200 meatballs.  I hope the kids aren't destroying too many things in the backyard... 
Shove a tray in the oven for 30 minutes at 350, and you're done!  My suggestion is to throw the first batch in the crockpot with your favorite sauce and supper's finished.  Ta da! 
Anyone want to come to our house for supper tonight?

No comments: