Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm reading Beth Moore's devotional book, "John: 90 Days with the Beloved Disciple", and today I read a quote that stunned me a little. The main Bible verse for the day is John 3:16. How many of us have been able to quote that verse in our sleep since we were three years old?

"For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son that
whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life."

But THINK about it! God spoke into being billions of light years containing billions of galaxies, most of which we cannot even see let alone understand. Then on one tiny speck in one average galaxy, circling one of billions of stars,God poured inestimable care. He fashioned it to be a perfect environment for life. And then He created us. Fallible humans who would one day torture and kill His only Son. Why go to all this trouble and sorrow? Beth Moore says,
"I am absolutely convinced that mankind exists out of the holy passion of the Trinity to draw others into their fellowship." pg. 205
God LOVES us, and He longs for relationship with us! Not because he needs us. He is self-sufficient. Yet He loves us - me - enough to come to this earth and die for me!
I have a hard time comprehending His love. It seems like love on earth is based on performance. "I love you IF...." If you're nice to me. If you give me what I need. If you listen to what I tell you to do. Somehow I have the tendancy (the audacity) to put God into that box. God loves me if I obey Him. If I'm good enough. If I'm loving towards my husband. If.
Cramming God into the confines of what my limited mind can comprehend.
Ridiculous, huh?
Ok, so after thinking all of this, I came to the quote that blew me away.
"And when the God of all the universe stoops down and a single child recognizes the tender condescension and bends her knee to stoop as well, the heart of God surges with unbridled emotion. And there they are. Just the two of them." pg. 207
Wow! One-on-one with God! My heart pretty much stops beating at the thought. And yet that is where I long to be - to spend eternity in the presence of God. Thank you Jesus for your love!
All this richness in what we mindlessly, repetitively quote with our kids.

No comments: