Monday, July 18, 2011

I've been waiting...

I'm not very good at waiting.  I figure if something's best, then it would be best if it happened now.  Obviously God does not agree with me on this most of the time.  Good thing He knows what He's doing! 
So, here's something I've been waiting for almost TEN years for!

No, not the furniture - THIS!

This is my Grandma Johnson's china.  Grandma loved to entertain.  She had TONS of fancy napkins and tablecloths and dishes and serving plates and party decorations and silverware - and this china.  I wish I knew what she used it for.  Whether she liked it or not.  Where she got it. 
Ever since Caleb and I got married, I've been wanting a spot to put Grandma's china.  Besides the box I wrapped it so carefully in and hid in my closet.
Saturday, my dad loaded up the cabinet in the picture and brought it to my house.  I wasn't even home, but Josh helped him bring it inside and now, here it sits in my dining room!
Now I must admit.  This cabinet (I'm not sure exactly what to call it...) is not exactly the style or color I would choose if given a gift certificate to Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel or even Target. 
But since I'm not likely to be able to afford this or this anytime soon (or ever) - and I don't need to ever spend that much money on anything just to look pretty anyway - and they would look rather odd next to my dented, colored-on Shopko-quality table - I'm super excited about my free...buffet??
It has all these cool little drawers and shelves for different sized and shaped objects.  And eventually I plan to either paint or re-stain it and replace the hardware to update it a little.  I just can't decide what to do with it quite yet.  Ideas anyone??
As I look around my house, I think of so many people.  You see, we've hardly bought a single item of furniture in 9 1/2 years.  So I look at the love seat and think of Grandma and Grandpa Merchant. 
The TV stand reminds me of my Grandma and Grandpa Johnson's basement and their bright yellow leather chair.  If you ever get tired of the chair, mom...  =) 
The two odd dining room chairs remind me of Oma's visit to the thrift store. 
Kylie's pink dresser used to be my dad's dresser/desk as a little boy.  I'm sure he never imagined that one day his daughter would paint is PINK for his granddaughter.  =) 
So many memories stored up in our mismatched furniture.  And hey!  It matches our mismatched wallpaper pretty well!  =)

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Sorry about the broken glass. Dad is planning to get a new piece to replace it -- the hazards of moving breakable things.
And... it looks great!