Thursday, November 6, 2008

Giving Thanks!!

In the spirit of Thanksgiving (and recent blessings too obvious for my distracted mind to miss) here is a list of things I have recently been reminded I'm thankful for.
1.) My kitchen! We had a major pipe gushing problem that grew mold (and some sad little plants) behind my cabinets in our wall. My kitchen has been destroyed for 10 days, but my husband (see #2) just put my new floor down last night. YEAH!!! Now I'm just waiting for my new dishwasher.
2.) My husband! He has worked tirelessly in every free moment to tear out the old (very nasty) stuff and replace it with nice new stuff! The poor man is exhausted, but he has a happy wife who has regained control of her kitchen!
3.) Helpful brother in laws! Josh and Ben spent a day and a half (which I'm positive could've been used in much more fun ways) cleaning nasty, gross, disgusting, moldy, slimy (get the point?) junk out of my kitchen and helping Caleb repair the plumbing and put my cabinets back in.
4.) Generous grandparents! Two sets of our grandparents were worried about us and sent money to help fix our kitchen. God has abundantly blessed us with gifts for which we did not even think to ask!
5.) Family! My mom and dad and two sisters welcomed me and my 3 kids into their home for almost a week. We were all sick, miserable, and contagious. They took care of my kids when I was too tired to get off the couch. They entertained my demanding children. They made Halloween costumes for them and took them trick-or-treating! By the time we left they needed a break! =)
6.) 75 degree weather (at the beginning of November?!?!) It was so warm the kids and I pretty much lived outside for a couple of days during the worst of the chaos. And I could open the windows to let the concrete dust/ mold spores float out into the backyard. Caleb got my floor down last night and today it's about 30 degrees cooler than it has been!
7.) A God who is totally in control and knows everything I need before I know I need it. Between the chaos in my house and an election that did not go the way I thought it should, I have been discouraged and pessimistic about life in general the past couple of weeks. It seems that Evil and chaos reign in this world. I yearn for peace and joy! Then I read I John 5:4-5 (a verse I have memorized and should remember in times like this). "For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith. Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?" I know the end of the story because I know the God who wrote it! He is my peace and my joy in the midst of uncertainty.
8.) It's exactly 3 weeks until Thanksgiving! My brothers and their families and coming, and I can't wait to see them!!! I'm already thankful for precious time with my family all together. It doesn't happen very often, and I plan on enjoying it when it does!

No comments: