Monday, August 17, 2009

What was I thinking?

Today is Ethan's first official day of first grade. Which means it's my first day of adding "homeschool teacher" to my already overwhelming list of responsibilities around here. I think I might completely lose my mind before this is over. As you've probably noticed from the lightbulb eating incident and the van registration eating incident (see previous posts...), I HAVE to know what Kylie is doing ALL the time. And Julia's going through an "I'm going to scream loud and long all day, every day at everything I don't like" phase. She does not like me sitting on the couch doing school with Ethan. And we're adding a newborn to the mix in December.
Fortunately, Ethan's a smart little boy. He can figure out most stuff on his own without a lot of teaching. Unfortunately, I picked a science and history curriculum that requires me to do alot of reading, writing, and projects with him. He needs one-on-one time with me - something in short supply around here.
I have a feeling I'm going to have to resist the urge to flag down the bus that drives by our house every morning and beg them to take him to "real school" with them!

1 comment:

Chip Burkitt said...

Homeschooling is hard; there's no denying it. The main thing is to develop a routine and stick to it. Then the kids know what to expect. They'll still try from time to time to disrupt the routine. Stick to your guns, and it will get easier.