Saturday, May 26, 2007

For those of you who have been wondering, I'm fine now. I don't think I lose it very often as badly as I did the day I wrote last. It was just one of those days. And my amazing husband fixed my stove! So, I didn't get much of a break from cooking. By the way, if anyone has advice on how to untangle bumper pads it would be much appreciated.
Well, the last week has been fairly uneventful, I suppose. I started Ted Dekker's "Black", "Red", and "White" books again. No matter how many times I read those books, I am always impressed. Some of the suspense is lost, but I'm still awed by his picture of God. God wants us to ENJOY life and ENJOY knowing Him. I also read Ecclesiates in my Bible reading this week, and that is the point of that book too. Life is short and unfair for MANY people. How should we respond? Blindly trust that God knows what He's doing even when everything humanly reasonable screams that it doesn't make sense. And then, enjoy whatever it is He has given you while it lasts. The intellectual curiosity in me argues that such a philosophy is only for the uneducated who are unable to reason and search for answers for themselves. But it's what Solomon, one of the wisest (if not THE wisest) people ever, said in the Bible which is God's inspired word. That makes it truth. Regardless of whether or not I understand.

2 comments:

Chip Burkitt said...

"Blindly trust?" I don't think I would put it quite like that. Of course, there is an element of blindness in all faith, or else faith would not be faith. Who hopes for what he already has? But another essential component of faith is the trustworthiness of the object. We may not clearly see what's going to happen, but we can clearly see who is in charge. To the degree that he is trustworthy our faith is not blind.

Melody said...

Of course, you are right. I should have been more careful in my wording. We are not blind to who God is, and that knowledge gives us a firm foundation for our trust in Him. But, in our humaness, we are blind to what His overarching plan is. Which forces us to trust who we know Him to be even when we can't clearly see the purpose behind what he's doing here on earth.